A couple of weeks ago, I received an email from DOLE Bananas asking if I would like some coupons for free bananas. After the shock that DOLE Bananas (OMG!) emailed me, of course I immediately replied with a very enthusiastic YES! DOLE Bananas was sweet enough to send me a huge stack of coupons for bananas, and let me say, they were instantly put to good use! I have been going bananas in the kitchen, literally! I picked up tons of bananas and threw a bunch (no pun intended) in the freezer (peeled) for future smoothie use, and started crafting away on some new nana recipes for you guys!
Bananas have so many health benefits, they might as well be called “Nature’s Original Energy Bar!” DOLE sent me some awesome banana facts to show that they aren’t just delicious, but nutritious too!
- Bananas are a good source of vitamins and nutrients – especially vitamins B6 and C, potassium, manganese and dietary fiber.
- Bananas replenish necessary carbohydrates, glycogen and body fluids burned during exercise; contain electrolytes; and are the perfect alternative to processed sports drinks and bars packed with sodium and sugar.
Since I am a huge fan of bananas and breakfast, I wanted to try making a banana bread type of oatmeal… without the oats! I love quinoa for it’s amazing health benefits, so I decided to use it as a breakfast bowl/porridge type of meal. It turned out AWESOME, and I will be making this more often, especially when I need a break from oatmeal!
Banana Bread Breakfast Quinoa
1 very ripe banana – mashed
¼ cup dry quinoa
¼ cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
2 Tbsp walnuts
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp cinnamon
Cook the quinoa on the stove to package instructions. After the quinoa has finished cooking (while over low heat), stir in the almond milk, mashed banana, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix the walnuts into the quinoa or add on top. Transfer to a bowl and enjoy warm.
Note: You could add additional milk until desired texture is reached.
The Rabbit Food Pyramid Breakdown
Whole Grain: quinoa
Plant Based Fat: walnuts
In collaboration with DOLE Bananas, I am hosting a giveaway of “$1 off DOLE Bananas” coupons for 5 lucky winners! Each winner will receive 5 coupons!
For your chance to win:
- Leave a comment on this post “Banana Bread Breakfast Quinoa + DOLE Bananas Giveaway” with your favorite way to eat bananas!
- All entries must use a valid email address.
- Open to U.S. residents only.
- All comments must be posted by Sunday, July 1st at 11:59pm (PST).
- 5 winners will be randomly selected and announced on Monday, July 2.
Go Bananas Every Day™ and receive daily recipes, serving suggestions and tips by following DOLE Bananas on Twitter and Facebook!
I have complied a list of some RFFMBT recipes that include bananas:
Healthy Vegan Banana Bread
Peanut Butter & Banana Toast
Banana Hazelnut Toast With Ricotta
Chocolate Cake Batter Overnight Oats
Ch Ch Ch Chia Pudding
Carrot Cake Smoothie
Gargantuan Green Giant
It’s Easy Being Green Smoothie
* The giveaway has ended, and the winners will be announced on Monday, July 2.
** Congratulations to the winners: Killian from PA, Jessica from IL, Sara from VA, Elizabeth from TX, and Leanne from CA.