Remember last week when I was obsessed with carrot cake? Well my taste buds are over the carrot cake and now I’m on a total green monster kick, like I literally crave thick fresh smoothies with leafy greens blended in them. Weird? Well not when they taste this amazing! I was working on some recipes earlier this week and this little gem was born… Behold the healthy Thin Mint Protein Smoothie! We all love Girl Scout Cookies, but we don’t love the nutrition label on those babies. Instead of reaching for that box of Thin Mints, whip up a healthy alternative, complete with a nutritional boost of spinach! You’ll get the chocolatey pepperminty cookie flavor along with all of the extra benefits of spinach being in your smoothie, and trust me… you cannot even taste it!
Get to know this leafy green: Everyone say, “Hi Spinach!”
- Filled with powerful antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and selenium, which combat the onset of osteoporosis, atherosclerosis and high blood pressure.
- One cup of spinach contains over 337% of the RDA of vitamin A that protects and strengthens “entry points” into the human body, such as mucous membranes, respiratory, urinary and intestinal tracts.
- One cup of spinach has nearly 20% of the RDA of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion, and curbs overeating.
- The abundance of vitamin K contributes to a healthy nervous system and brain function.
- Contains two anti-inflammatory epoxyxanthophylls; Neoxanthin and violaxanthin.
- Packed with magnesium, folate, iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B2, potassium, and vitamin B6, and a great source of selenium and niacin.
Thin Mint Protein Smoothie
1 cup frozen spinach (or 2 cups fresh)
1 cup almond milk
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/8 tsp peppermint extract
1 Tbsp walnuts
1 Tbsp 70% dark chocolate chips
Combine the almond milk, spinach, protein powder, rolled oats, and peppermint extract in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a glass and top with walnuts and chocolate chips and enjoy with a spoon!
Note: If your blender has a hard time blending certain things, start by blending the milk and frozen spinach first and then add in the oats, followed by protein powder and peppermint extract.
The Rabbit Food Pyramid Breakdown
Whole Grain: rolled oats
Protein: protein powder
Plant Based Fat: walnuts and dark chocolate chips