A few weeks ago, I was sent a a 12 pound package from Bard Valley Natural Delights™ Medjool Dates! Inside this delightful box (no pun intended) was a combination of twelve packages of delicious Medjool Dates and Date Rolls from Bard Valley! Natural delights sent me some of their amazing Date Rolls, which included 3 different flavors: almond, pistachio, and coconut. I had never tried date rolls before, but they are pretty addicting! Coconut was my favorite, so much sweet chewy goodness in one bite! Along with a generous amount of date rolls, they also sent me some whole Medjool dates which were fantastic. I go through tons of dates in my kitchen because I love using them in place of refined sugar for baked goods & desserts, and love nibbling on them when I am craving something sweet.
I saw this quote on the Natural Delights website and had to share it with you guys! It’s perfect haha
“Once the fruit of kings. Now the king of fruits. The mighty, majestic Medjool.”
“Known as the “Fruit of the Kings,” caramel-like Natural Delights Medjool Dates are considered the best-tasting, most luscious dates in the world. In addition to being a good source of fiber, they contain no added sugar, are high in antioxidants and offer important vitamins and minerals including Potassium, Copper, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, Niacin, Calcium, Iron and Vitamin K.” -Natural Delights
Natural Delights also sent me some excellent information explaining why Bard Valley Natural Delights Medjool Dates are a nutritional powerhouse!
- They are naturally sweet Medjool dates are naturally sweet and contain no added sugar, making them an ideal alternative to artificial and processed sweeteners.
- They help protect against cancer Medjool dates are filled with polyphenols, powerful antioxidants that help protect the body against the oxidation and inflammation of cells that can lead to cancer. Medjool dates contain more antioxidants than blackberries, plums and apples.
- They help stabilize blood sugar levels Medjool dates rate low to low/medium on the Glycemic Index (GI). A low-GI carb diet keeps glucose and insulin levels stable, helping maintain sustained energy and a healthy weight.
- They make you feel fuller for longer Medjool dates are loaded with dietary fiber. Just one-quarter cup of Medjools provides 12 percent of the daily requirement of fiber and helps satisfy between-meal cravings.
- They can reenergize Rich in potassium, manganese and other important minerals, Medjools help balance blood sodium levels and release energy from protein, fat and carbohydrates.
- They are a healthy snack Medjool dates are a no-fat and no-cholesterol treat, making them ideal for snacking.
- They help fight against “bad” cholesterol Medjool dates help lower LDL cholesterol levels, which decreases the risk of diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
- They can ease labor and deliveries in pregnant women A study in the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology indicated that pregnant women who consumed six Medjool dates for four weeks prior to their estimated delivery date had easier labors with fewer complications.
- They help lower blood pressure Medjool dates are also dense in copper, Vitamin B6, niacin, calcium, iron and Vitamin K, making it the perfect addition to the DASH diet, which is proven to lower blood pressure.
- They have a long shelf life Medjool dates have a shelf life of 30 days when stored at room temperature – making them ideal for travel and enjoying at work, home or play.
With an abundance of fresh dates, I knew it was time for a new dessert recipe! Mmmm my fav! This is an adaptation of my favorite Vegan Chef, Chef AJ’s Raw Brownies!
Raw Brownie Bites
Makes 12 servings
1 cup pitted Medjool dates
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup walnuts
3 Tbsp raw cacao powder (or 4 Tbsp cocoa powder)
1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
Blend the sunflower seeds and walnuts in a food processor or high powered blender until finely ground but not a nut butter consistency. Add the cacao powder and vanilla extract and blend again until mixed evenly. Remove pits from dates. Add the the dates and process until a dough like mixture is formed. You should be able to sculpt the dough without crumbling. Using a 1 Tbsp measuring spoon, scoop the dough and roll into 12 balls. Keep in the refrigerator for 1 week or freezer for up to 1 month. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for a post workout snack or a healthy dessert, turn your Raw Brownie Bites into a Brownie Batter Milkshake with this super simple recipe:
Brownie Batter Milkshake
2 Raw Brownie Bites
1 frozen banana
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
Combine almond milk, banana, and 2 Raw Brownie Bites in a blender and blend until smooth.
In collaboration with Bard Valley Natural Delights™ Medjool Dates, I am hosting a giveaway! One lucky RFFMBT winner will receive: 3 packages of Fresh Medjool Dates, 3 packages of Almond Date Rolls, 3 packages of Pistachio Date Rolls, and 3 packages of Coconut Date Rolls!
For your chance to win: